Information regarding COVID-19 in South Grey
As we become aware of local government and service closures and notifications we will post them on this page.
Updated April 1, 2020 at 4:15 pm
Current Situation in Grey Bruce
As reported by Dr Arra, the chief Medical Officer of Health in Grey Bruce
Testing and case counts as of 15:30 hrs, April 1, 2020:
2 new cases reported in past 24 hours in Grey Bruce;
- female, in 30s, Health Care Provider, self isolating
- male, in 60s, Health Care Provider, self-isolating
14 cases to date (current cumulative total).
5 recovered cases
1 case related to COVID-19 reported in Long-Term Care facilities
3 cases reported in Health Care Provider working in Grey Bruce
10 negative test results received in past 24 hours
Total negative cases updates lack reliable data input
5-6 days (estimated average time for results being received from the lab)
Actions Taken In the Past 24 Hours:
- Distribution of Personal Protection Equipment donation from Bruce Power continues to Long-Term Care/Retirement Homes/EMS/First Responders/others
- Facebook Live with Dr Arra 5:00 pm, Thursday, April 2
- GBHU Infectious Disease (ID) Team continue with case and contact management, reporting, and responding to COVID-19 related calls
- GBHU On-Call Team continue to ensure essential public health activities not related to COVID-19
Goverment of Ontario Announcements
All nonessential businesses are expected to close as of March 24 2020 at 11:59pm. Click here for a list of essential service businesses released by the Ontario government.
All parks, playgrounds and sports fields are closed to the public
are extending the validity period for your driver and vehicle products and health cards to help reduce the amount of people that visit their centres. Visit the web site.
Grey Bruce Health Unit
Public Health Clinical Services in Grey Bruce are cancelled, including:
dental services in Owen Sound, Markdale, Walkerton and Wiarton
sexual health clinics in Walkerton and Owen Sound
immunization services in Owen Sound, Walkerton and Saugeen Shores.
This action is being taken as part of an escalating response to safeguard the health of our communities in preventing the spread of COVID-19.
- all Needle Exchange and Naloxone services provided at Grey Bruce Health Unit site 101 17th Street East, Owen Sound, will remain open 8:30-4:30,
Monday to Friday.
- clients will be contacted and rescheduled when clinics are able to re-open.
- plans for patients requiring immediate or urgent treatment will be based on an individual assessment. Please contact Public Health at
519-376-9420 or visit www.publichealthgreybruce.on.ca
Durham Art Gallery
closed until further notice
Grey Bruce OPP
the OPP is limiting the processing of routine criminal record checks/vulnerable sector checks. Checks will only be conducted if deemed to be necessary,
or for emergency circumstances. If you require any detachment-based service, including criminal record checks/vulnerable sector
checks, please contact your local detachment in advance.
- has set up detachment-specific email addresses to deal with non-emergent services and inquiries. These email
addresses are now also available at opp.ca/detachments.
effective immediately and until further notice, please refrain from attending our Hanover Police Service Station unless you have a scheduled appointment.
- if you reside in Hanover and require an employment related background check or want to make inquiries about a Freedom of Information request
please contact our administrative line during business hours at 519.364.4280 extension #1 for further instructions. For residents
that have existing background checks being processed, they will be contacted by telephone to discuss the method of delivery.
- if you require a police response, please continue to call our Dispatch Centre for non-emergency police matters at 519.364.2411 or in case
of emergencies dial 911. As part of our COVID-19 response procedure, callers to our Dispatch Centre will be asked a series of
five screening questions for community health and well-being reasons.
Provincial Offences Court in Owen Sound
Kids & Us Childcare and Family Education Centres
- on Friday March 13 a Ministerial Order directed the shut down of all childcare centres until May 4. The closure may be extended if necessary.
Markdale Kids & Us
- closed March 16-April 5, 2020, based on recommendations of Grey Bruce Public Health.
cancelled and sites are closed until further notice (Grey County)
All schools in Ontario
schools are closed, playgrounds and play structures are closed until further notice
Southgate Ruth Hargrave Memorial Library
closed until further notice
materials may be returned to the outside drop box
Grey Roots Museum and Archives
closed until further notice
Municipality of Grey Highlands
declared a state of emergency
all Municipality of Grey Highlands facilities including the Administration Offices will be CLOSED to the public as of 2:00 pm on March 16, 2020 until further notice.
Public Utilities department will be temporarily suspending all water meter replacement appointments to assist in reducing the potential
spread of COVID-19. This decision was made to prioritize the health of staff and all community members.
all current Municipal facility rentals have been CANCELLED. Staff will be contacting the person(s) who have rented the facility during the affected time.
The following facilities are CLOSED to the public:
The Township of Chatsworth
all recreation facilities and programs in the facilities are cancelled
the municipal office will be closed to the public
all council meetings and committee meetings are cancelled until further notice
West Grey Library Board
- closed the libraries to the public until further notice. All programs, events and outreach activities will be cancelled.
Grey Sauble Conservation
meetings scheduled at the GSCA Administration Centre have been cancelled or rescheduled as appropriate. Additionally, GSCA staff will not be attending any meetings until further notice. GSCA asks that community members utilize phone or e-mail if they need to contact or correspond with staff during this time. Staff are continuing to monitor this situation, and in consultation with Public Health, will continue to develop a relevant course of action, including utilizing alternative means of communication, in order to continue to deliver
services to the public as necessary.
- all conservation areas and trails are closed.
all conservation areas and trails are closed
South East Grey Community Health Centre
all group programs hosted at SEGCHC sites are suspended through to April 17.
Township of Southgate
administration Office will be closed to the public as of 12:00 pm on Monday March 16 until further notice.
all Township facility rentals for the next 30 days have been cancelled. Staff will be contacting the person(s) who have rented the facility for an event to advise of this decision.
essential services that the Township provides will continue. This includes waste/recycling pick up, landfill operations and building inspections.
all public meetings, including Council and Committee meetings have been cancelled for the next 30 days.
- account payments can be made to the Township through mobile banking or by credit card through our website. There will be a drop box available at the front door of the Municipal Office to leave payments.
public tenders and request for proposals that are currently advertised will continue to be opened on their scheduled date(s).
The Municipality of West Grey
suspended its recreational programming and closed all municipal facilities until further notice. This includes all arenas, community centres, halls, library branches and the municipal administration building.
Further, all committees of council meetings and municipal events have been canceled until further notice amidst growing concerns over the Covid-19 pandemic.
The council meeting scheduled for March 17 at 6 p.m. and a special meeting on development charges at 3 p.m. have been postponed.
- building permits can be applied for here online
declared a state of emergency
- council meetings are now being held remotely
- Recorded meetings online link http://westgrey.com/watch-council-meetings.cfm
- suspended meetings of council until April 8, including committee of the whole, task force and subcommittee meetings.
- Grey County is following directions from the Province to suspend all licensed child care services immediately. Operators will be kept informed of changes and supports available to them during as the situation progresses. The Province is also recommending the closure of unlicensed child care; however, these businesses are not regulated by Grey County.
Grey Highlands Chamber
office is closed in Markdale until further notice
Grey Roots Museum and Archive
all churches should be closed
COVID-19 links to government and non government sites
Grey Bruce Public Health Unit
The Do - A place to get help or volunteer (United Way Grey Bruce)
Government of Ontario links
Government of Canada links
Legal rights during COVID-19
Stats with the number of cases from around the world
WorldOMeter Canadian Stats on COVID-19
If you are aware of additional cancellations or closures in southern Grey County, please let us know by filling out our contact form.